Wednesday, September 17

No rest for the weary...

I spent most of Sunday at the house, waiting for the roofing company to arrive and put up tarps on our roof. They didn't get there till very late in the day, and it rained most of the morning, so I mostly tried to take care of the house.

Our front door no longer opens, there is water damage in every room of the front of the house, upstairs and down. We lost one tree, and have another that might not survive.

Monday I went to the office for about half a day, the realized I left my laptop and aircard there. So I grabbed up the wife and kids and we went on an expedition. Back to the office, got the stuff, and found a Target that was open. Not much food, all the perishables were thrown out. But we did get some snacks and new toys for all the kids.

Tuesday I worked at the house all day, but did some remote work for the company. I trimmed th tree that was damaged, then topped the second tree that is not going to make it from the damage. Inspected the roof, hauled off a ton of trash. I now have a pile of tree limbs, trampoline and shingles the size of a car in front of my house. About noon my oldest came home, he is very upset that Ike destroyed his trampoline. And it was tough to explain why this happened.

Today I'm back at the office, we have power, but the AC didn't come on till about 11 AM. Someone took lunch orders, but never came to my cube. Thanks, I didn't want lunch. My wife called to say that she opened a closet upstairs that she hadn't checked yet, and everything inside is soaked. Evidently the light fixture for that closet was the drain for the attic. Great, now I get to go remove wet carpet after work. I need a vacation.

At least we have a warm bed to sleep in, and air conditioning. My parent's Natural Gas generator kicks ass. And we are a lot better off than a lot of folks from this disaster. At least I'm not waiting in line for MREs, water and ice.

Think I'm going to crawl under my desk and take a nap now...

Labels:


Comments: Post a Comment

<< Home

Number of people who will never get their time back from reading this page:
Counters