Sunday, July 1

Playing Catch Up!



Ok, it's been a few weeks now with the Alienware computer. Alienware sent me a $25 Gift Certificate from Amazon due to their failure to include the advertised IR Remote that was listed as a feature on their web site. They also changed their website, and it is no longer listed as a feature. Score one for the little guys!



Now that I've had the laptop for a while, I have to say, it is one of the nicest computers I have ever owned. The keyboard is by far the best laptop keyboard I have ever had, the only annoyance there is that the Fn and Ctrl buttons are backwards from what I am used to in the bottom left corner. This has been driving me nuts, but I think over time I'll get used to the different configuration.

I've upgraded the beast to Windows Vista Business and loaded Office 2007, both are great, but I see endless headaches when our users start upgrading next year. Time to put some real time and energy into looking at Terminal Services and Thin Client computing.



After getting the computer, I realized it was way too cool for the OEM Microsoft Mouse I was running, so I used that $25 from Amazon, plus a couple of my own bucks and got a very cool Razer Diamondback mouse in the Acid Green color. This thing is way cool, and much more sensitive that any mouse I've had in a while. I had an original Razer Boomslang 2000 DPI mouse years ago when I was addicted to Quake III, so I expected this mouse to be excellent.



Finally, last Monday morning, when I got up, my HD Tivo, model HR10-250 had tanked, said the unit was overheated and wouldn't turn on at all. I e-mailed the good folks at Weaknees and they said it was the power suppy and fan, and they could get me replacements for $88. Now, keep in mind, I'm good with replacing this kind of stuff, it took all of 10 minutes to swap out the parts. It might take a normal person an hour or so if they have never done anything like this before. All the tools I needed even came in the kit. A great deal, and they took PayPal payment to boot!

Labels: , , , ,


Comments: Post a Comment

<< Home

Number of people who will never get their time back from reading this page:
Counters