Sunday, May 13

Hectic Month

I haven't been posting much here, not for the lack of things to post about, but just from being so busy I'm never sure if I am coming or going most of the time.

Kids are doing great, twins are over 10 months old and close to walking, and saying dada, mama, baba, ball, very simple stuff. I recently took my three year old to his first Astros baseball game. We had to sit in the cheap seats, but he had a great time. His favorite part of the game was the train that runs along the top of the outfiled fence when the 'stros hit a homer. Only problem is he really wanted to ride the train. My father in law went along on that day, and we all had a good time.



Meanwhile my lovely wife was spending the weekend in New York City with her sister and mom. Her sister lives there now and really seems to be doing well, so we're all very happy for her.



At work things are going well, I got a raise, then a couple of weeks later was promoted to Information Security Officer. Now I'm a bank officer, I got stock options, and lots more responsibility. Yeah! I'm still doing my old Network Analyst job till we find a replacement, I need someone like Jake for this job, but we aren't finding anyone right now. I hope we find someone soon, I'm gettting worn way out doing two jobs.

I went to a funeral for a friend's 21 year old son that was killed in a horrible car accident. Between the time I was 16 and 22, I had 8 friends die, and went to lots of funerals, so while this experience wasn't so new, it was the first time since I've been a parent. I'm also 39 now, and the sense of just what this young person had missed out on is very different from when it was my friends I was burying. All in all a very sad week.

I'm finally retiring the laptop I've had for almost 6 years. It was great when I purchased it, but it is starting to show it's age. I'm getting an Alienware Area 51 m5550 with an upgraded processor and DVD burner. I'm really psyched, it will be nice to have a modern, fast computer. It also comes with Vista, which I will try out, but expect to replace with XP Pro pretty quickly. Maybe for fun I will also load Office 2007. Never know.

Going to hit the road and go to Vegas next weekend. I need a vacation, can't wait to loose some hard earned cash in a slot machine. We also have tickets for They Might Be Giants at the Hard Rock Hotel and Spamalot at the Wynn hotel. Should be a great weekend.

Labels: , , , , , , ,


Comments:
Thanks for thinking of me ;-)

As for the laptop, have a look at Sagernotebooks.com. Alienwares are really overpriced, and used to be made by the same company that makes Sagers (Clevo in Taiwan). I've had 3 Sagers and love 'em, and have a reseller account that I can probably get you a discount on (e-mail me if you're interested).
 
I really wanted the Alienware system. I'm pretty pumped, it was in Orlando, Florida at 7 AM today, so I might get it before I leave town this weekend.

It is hard to find good, competent help these days in the PC industry. Too much demand, and too many folks with overblown resumes and underblown skills.

The Alienware base price was not too bad, the RAM and HDD upgrade prices were outrageous, so I'm going to just buy the parts and upgrad those myself. Then I'll start watching eBay for a busted up one with a better MXM VGA card, or just find a spare there.

Can't wait to find out how bad Vista sucks.
 
Post a Comment

<< Home

Number of people who will never get their time back from reading this page:
Counters