Friday, October 27

Ob-La-Di, Ob-La-Da

Life goes on brahhh....

It's been a crazy two weeks since I started at the bank. Active Directory (AD) replication was broken when I got here, DNS was hosed up, WINS was not working properly. There were also a lot more sites, servers and users than I initially had been told.

Fixed DNS, that exposed AD replication problems and shut down one site for most of a day. Fixed that and discovered that a domain that had been phased out is still lurking aroiund in DNS, and have been working on expunging it from the current domain and DNS. Fixed WINS everywhere. Things are running fairly smoothly.

Mapped out the WAN in an E-Sized Plot, showing our nearly 20 point-to-point T1 connections. Looks like we are going to convert to MPLS and Local Fiber. That should be a fun project next year.

Haven't made it out to many branches yet, just getting everything documented and waiting for a new branch roll-out that keeps getting delayed.

Been working with Microsoft Remote Installation Services (RIS) to get ready for roll outs. what a pain in the ass. Typical Microsoft, great idea, poor documentation. Have had to search through countless Microsoft Knowledge Base Articles, get help from friends and generally be exasperated when I keep getting errors about missing NIC drivers that I know are present.

I'll try to put up some RIS resources in another post once I get this crap all sorted out and working.

This job is great. Never liked one better. Only complaint is that the coffee here is horrible. Guess I'm going to have to get my own coffee maker and stash it in my cube somewhere.

Labels: , ,


Comments: Post a Comment

<< Home

Number of people who will never get their time back from reading this page:
Counters