Monday, October 24

Reunion Report

Ok,

So I went to my 20 year High Shcool Reunion on Friday and Saturday nights last week.

Oddly enogh, I had an incredibly great time on both nights.

On Friday night, Friendswood High School hosted all 20 year seniors at the Homecoming football game. I ended seeing a bunch of old friends that I had not seen in years. Many years, twenty in some cases. I also saw folks I hadn't gotten along with so well in High School, and for the most part, figured out that there was no animosity left. We all talked to one another, and while we will never all be best friends, we all were happy to see that we had turned out so well as a whole. One guy in particular, who used to live down the street from me growing up and was always in trouble had joined the Marines, and became a Military Journalist. Pretty cool. Our class vandal is now an FBI Special Agent, and people had all kinds of other interesting jobs.

The best part though on Friday was seeing the two class bullies standing by themselves, and no one stopping to talk to them. I know it sounds petty, but there was some vindication in seeing that most everyone had to remember what assholes they were to everyone.

There was a reception after the game in the school library where we were handed Class Biographies. We were all sent surveys earlier in the year, so this is how I found out about the interesting jobs. Also found out in this that three of my classmates had passed away. One was carjacked, one had complications of epilepsy and the last most likely had some kidney problems. It was sad news, but in a realistic sense, it is less than 1% of our graduating class that is deceased, and that is quite surprising considering how insane we all were back then.

Saturday night was a dinner and dance at South Shore Harbor. The Houston Astros were playing the first game of the World Series, and someone brought in a large TV so everyone could watch.

That was a little distracting, and the 'Stros lost. Can't win them all.

They had a cash bar, with some of the most expensive, worst drinks, I have ever had. $7.00 for Crown & Coke, $6.00 for a Margurita, and couldn't taste the alcohol in either. The dinner buffet was acceptable Mexican food. My advice it avoid food and drinks if you ever hit South Shore Harbor. Sneak in a flask and a pizza if you get the chance.

We saw some more people, and talked to some folks who had read the bios. Everyone had a good time. We went home around 10:30 PM, as I had seen enough of most of the folks there to last me another 20 years.

If I wrote everything that comes to mind here, this post would be about four times longer.

So I would recommend to anyone that is interested, go to your reunion, you can always leave early if it sucks, but you can never go again if you skip the possible disaster.

Comments: Post a Comment

<< Home

Number of people who will never get their time back from reading this page:
Counters